Flax seeds and flax seed oil are rich sources of alpha linolenic acid (ALA) an essential fatty acid of the omega 3 class, with significant influences on human health and other mammalian models. These fatty acids, in addition to the phytonutrients present in flax seed products, offer considerable protection against various components to metabolic syndrome such as insulin resistance and dyslipidemia. Flax seed oil also has the potential to correct particular endocrine system imbalances that can contribute to specific patterns of disease.
Flax seed oil has an unusually high omega 3 to omega 6 ratio, which is very unique among oils and foods in general. This, above all else, is most likely responsible for the variety of positive outcomes associated with dietary intervention trials.
- Dodin S, Cunnane SC, Masse B et al. Flaxseed on cardiovascular disease markers in healthy menopausal women: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition, Volume 24, Issue 1, January 2008, Pages 23-30. 2008.
- Leyva DR, Zahradka P, Ramjiawan B et al. The effect of dietary flaxseed on improving symptoms of cardiovascular disease in patients with peripheral artery disease: Rationale and design of the FLAX-PAD randomized controlled trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials, Volume 32, Issue 5, September 2011, Pages 724-730. 2011.
- Madhusudhan B. Potential Benefits of Flaxseed in Health and Disease - A Perspective. Agriculturae Conspectus Scientificus (ACS) Year: 2009 Vol: 74 Issue: 2 Pages/record No.: 67-72. 2009.
- Patenaude A, Rodriguez-leyva D, Edel AL et al. Bioavailability of [alpha]-linolenic acid from flaxseed diets as a function of the age of the subject. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition63. 9 (Sep 2009): 1123-9. 2009.
- Rodriguez-Leyva D, Bassett CMC, McCullough R et al. The cardiovascular effects of flaxseed and its omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, Volume 26, Issue 9, November 2010, Pages 489-496. 2010.
- Sturgeon SR, Volpe SL, Puleo E et al. Dietary intervention of flaxseed: effect on serum levels of IGF-1, IGF-BP3, and C-peptide. Nutr Cancer. 2011;63(3):376-80. 2011.
- Young R and Ardith B. Flaxseed supplementation improved insulin resistance in obese glucose intolerant people: a randomized crossover design. Nutrition Journal Year: 2011 Vol: 10 Issue: 1 Pages/record No.: 44. 2011.